The most important measure of the College’s success is the number of ex-students who keep in touch and return for regular reunions. Most of our students come to us through personal recommendation. However, like all schools we are inspected by a range of independent bodies who provide regular and objective checks on the quality of the education we provide.
We are also members of the Boarding Schools Association, CIFE (the professional association of independent sixth form colleges) and AEGIS, the Association for the Education and Guardianship of International Students.
RIC is a Good Schools Guide School.
Rochester Independent College’s last full inspection by the Independent Schools Inspectorate was in November 2018.
In the Compliance Report the College was found to be fully compliant with all the following regulatory requirements met and no further action required:
- Quality of education provided
- Spiritual, moral, social and cultural development of pupils
- Welfare, health and safety of pupils
- Suitability of staff, supply staff and proprietors
- Premises of and accommodation at schools
- Provision of information
- Manner in which complaints are handled
- Quality of leadership in and management of schools
In the EQI the quality of student achievement, academic and otherwise was judged to be ‘good’ and the quality of personal development ‘excellent’.
Highlights of the report included:
- Pupils’ achievements in the visual and creative arts are excellent.
- Pupils have a positive attitude towards learning, especially in the sixth form.
- Pupils are confident in discussions on a range of academic topics.
- Pupils adapt readily to new situations and are flexible in their approach to their education.
- Pupils understand how the decisions that they make can and do have a major impact upon their own future.
- Pupils have a well-developed aesthetic and cultural awareness. Relationships between pupils are totally inclusive, creating a harmonious community of day and boarding pupils.
- Pupils show high levels of self-understanding. They flourish as they become more confident because staff encourage them at all stages and provide very high levels of pastoral care.
- Behaviour is generally of a very high standard. In the pre-inspection questionnaire responses almost all of the pupils agreed that the school expects them to behave well.
- Pupils said in interview that they are very much at ease with each other spiritually as a result of the inclusive nature of the school.
The full report can be read at the ISI website: www.isi.net.
Ofsted last inspected the College’s boarding provision in December 2009.
Key findings were:
- Helping children to be healthy – outstanding
- Helping children achieve well and enjoy what they do – outstanding
- Helping children make a positive contribution – outstanding
- Achieving economic wellbeing – outstanding
- Promotion of equality and diversity – outstanding
Rochester Independent College’s educational provision was last inspected by Ofsted in January 2008.
Key findings were:
- The quality of education is outstanding
- The quality of teaching and assessment is outstanding
- The quality of provision for students’ spiritual, moral and cultural education is outstanding
- Behaviour is outstanding and classes are conducted in a mature learning environment
- The quality of discussion and questioning during lessons is outstanding
- Provision for the welfare, health and safety of students is outstanding. This high standard of care contributes well to students’ outstanding personal development.
- The quality of the curriculum is good with a number of outstanding features.
- Working relationships are very good and teachers and students enjoy each other’s company. Teachers and students work within an atmosphere of mutual understanding, respect and consideration.
- The good exam results achieved by students at both GCSE and advanced levels reflect their progress and the effective structures of support. The tutor system makes a significant contribution to students’ educational guidance and underpins their rapid progress.
- Also praised were the College’s well maintained listed premises and accommodation, its policies and procedures and the website, described as in many respects a model of good practice.